My New Favorite Recipe: Almond and Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
I would say that 98% of everything my family eats, I prepare! Yes, I like to cook. I also believe we are what we eat.
We stay away from processed and packaged food as much as possible. Everyone in my family has some kind of food sensitivity. My husband to gluten, me to dairy and our boys to both. So it really makes a difference when I prepare our food because I know exactly what’s in it.
I try to make our meals and snacks as healthy as possible but sometimes you just have to enjoy a recipe as is, especially when it comes to desserts and snacks.
This recipe uses the healthy option for all its ingredients and that makes it all the more delicious. I did make a few modifications, which I will also share.
I call this recipe my new favorite because I’ve made it four times in a row, without even thinking about trying something else. These cookies are simply delicious! But don’t take my word for it, you must try them.
Now, I didn’t come up with this creation on my own. I’m not that creative in the kitchen. The recipe has a lot of steps but I really prefer easy recipes. To tell you the truth I always try to simplify a recipe and reduce the number of steps. But if you feel you must follow the recipe to the T, by all means, do so.
Here is the original Perfect Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
Below is my modified and simplified version:
Almond and Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies - Vegan option
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour - I doubled the amount and used freshly grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar - I used 1/2 cup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt - I used sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips - I used dark dairy-free chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons slightly melted coconut oil - I only used half this amount
- 6 tablespoons natural almond butter room temperature - I also tried with peanut butter, it was also really good.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg - I used a chia egg for vegan option
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (175 °C) and line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- Prepare your chia egg in a blender. 1 egg = 1 chia egg (1 tablespoon ground chia + 2.5 tablespoons of water). Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together all the dry ingredients including chocolate chips. Set aside.
- Add the remaining wet ingredients to the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix well, use your hands if necessary.
- Roll the dough into 16 balls. Place 2" apart on the prepared baking sheet. Press the cookies down slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 11-14 minutes. (I baked for 11 minutes) They'll be very soft but will be more firm once cooled.
- Let cool completely on the baking sheet. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. - Good luck with that, mine only lasted one day!
Let me know if you make these cookies and if you think they are delicious. If not, share your favorite recipe with us!